Thursday, June 28, 2018

Picnic in Provence

I started Elizabeth Bard's Picnic in Provence while we were on vacation last month.  Due to my knitting obsession of late, reading has fallen a bit by the wayside.  But I finally finished this memoir, which I really enjoyed!

My Goodreads review:


Somehow I managed to not read Elizabeth Bard's first memoir, about meeting her handsome Frenchman. But I really enjoyed this second memoir, about starting a family and settling down in Provence with that Frenchman.

A theme of this book that I did not anticipate liking, was Bard's struggle with motherhood. It takes her a while to find her stride and, as her son grows, to continue her motherly connection with him. It's refreshing to see someone talk candidly about these issues. 

As with any memoir that contains recipes, I want to make everything mentioned by Bard. And I was fascinated by the cultural differences she encounters throughout her time in France. There is so much Americans could learn from other ways of life!

No comments: