Monday, November 10, 2008

Fairy Garden Class


When my mom and I venture to our favorite nursery, Blue Moon, we've always been intrigued by their Fairy Gardens. In case you haven't heard of them (I never had before this!), they are miniature gardens planted in all kinds of small to large containers and are accented with small furniture where the fairies hang out when no one is watching. See below...


The Blue Moon property is filled with these cute, adorable gardens which use small plants to look like trees and bushes. We found out later that the ladies at Blue Moon have won two State Fair competitions for their gardens (though, it may have more than two, I can't recall). Their gardens are a work of art!


My mom and I found out they were teaching a class on Saturday and we enrolled a month ago; we've been excited about it ever since, anxiously awaiting our class. We started out with this...


Though the class was a bit expensive, you're given the above container, good potting soil, small rocks, one big tree-like plant, and two smaller plants. You have to buy the furniture. Here's how ours turned out....


I think it's pretty good for two novices. Notice that the walkway is purposeful: there's an entrance and exit. Some of the ladies had random piles of rock that had no entry or exit. How do the fairies get around, then? Anyways, I couldn't resist the St. Francis, though I'm not sure he and fairies would get along. The furniture is not easy to see as it's iron but there's a gate, a bird bath, and a chair where our fairy can sit and rest her wings.

We've already picked out two other pots around the house in which to do our next fairy gardens. So cute!

The ladies at Blue Moon left us with a marvelous quote from Hans Christian Andersen, spoken by a fairy:
“Just living is not enough... One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”

2 comments:

Mischief Maker said...

I love it. I think it is gorgeous. I will have to have a look around the shops here to see if there is anything. My mum loves gardening and fairy's. I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Doniamarie said...

I think some of the smaller plants are herbs. They said they should last over a year before they get to be too big for the pot. And they're supposed to be able to survive a freeze, just not a prolonged one!

It's so much fun and I can't stop looking at ours! (Not that it's that great, it's just cute!) :-)