Monday, June 29, 2009

Capitoline Museum


Yesterday, we spent the majority of our day at the Capitoline Museum, which is filled with tremendously cool things having to do with Roman history. I was in utter heaven, as you can imagine. Above is the ancient bronze statue of Marcus Aurelius that originally sat on the Capitoline (where a copy now stands). He's huge!


The Museum incorporated ruins of the foundation of the original Temple of Jupiter into it's building. I couldn't believe this as I thought it was completely destroyed in the fire during the 1st century B.C. Apparently the foundations didn't burn, which makes sense. Very awesome!


The museum also incorporates the ancient Tabularium, where all the records of ancient Rome were kept. This - the huge structure - blew me away!


On top of a classical column, a memorial written in Hebrew. The profs loved this!


A room filled with funerary monuments - some for Jews. I never thought I'd be so fascinated by these inscriptions and pictures but I was! So interesting!

We visited three churches yesterday, which I'd really like to tell you about but, alas, I'm running out of time. More tomorrow!

No comments: