Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Cookies, Cookies, Cookies

I had a busy and productive weekend. The best part of it was hanging out with great friends. The second best part was eating really good food!

These Chicken and Cheese Ta
quitos were on the menu on Saturday and....oh, boy. They were incredible! Mr. Higgins inhaled most of them....so I really want to make some more and soon!

On the baking side of things, I made Victorian Tea Cakes, which my mom and I have been making for the past five Christmases. They're not Mr. Higgins' favorite but I like the soft spiciness and lightness of them - a change from other Christmas cookies. They've taken the place of sugar cookies for me - being a step up from those.

As if I needed more sweets, I made my mom's fudge. So good, so easy, and so delicious!

On Sunday, I headed over to a friend's house to make a German cookie that my dad likes - and hasn't had in years. They're not exactly widespread in US bakeries; they're called springerle. We didn't use hers (we used a German one), but it looks as if Martha Stewart actually has this recipe. It's got more ingredients than our "authentic" German ones, but it's the same idea - an anise flavored, stale cookie. I have no idea why my dad likes them - though he does like licorice.

It was a productive weekend! I love Christmas!


No comments: