Monday, March 10, 2008

A Trip Down South

I'm finally posting a picture of my trip to South Texas last weekend. However, Blogger is vexing me so you only get to see the one. Below is my grandfather's childhood church.


Across the street from the church, is his elementary school. My grandfather only went to school through sixth grade before his father needed him at home, on the farm. Despite his minimal education, he was extremely good with numbers and became a carpenter. During the war, he built prisons and barracks throughout France, Belgium, and Germany. He put German POWs to work and actually gained a great deal of respect for the enemy; he used to say they were very smart.

It's funny how our perceptions change through the generations. "Nazi" is not a word I hear often, but my grandfather used it throughout his old war stories - it was interchangeable with "German" to him. I wish I'd listened a little more to these stories. I was, however, young and immature; he died when I was in tenth grade.

A quick knitting update: I ran to JSY on Saturday and talked to Linda about the Ripple Blanket. She agreed I should probably add a few more inches to the width. So, I bought two more skeins of yarn and started over. I really don't mind all that much, I want the blanket to be usable. I think I finally figured out the color pattern, so that's exciting! I'll post a pic when I have a few inches on it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.