Monday, May 18, 2009

Amos Lee at the Granada

I've been to one concert (of the rock variety) in my entire life. Now, after Friday night, I can somewhat-more proudly say I've been to three. The first came on Thursday...

SK, one of my best friends, had tickets to see one of her favorite singer/songwriters, Amos Lee. I'd never heard of Mr. Lee but said I'd go along; after all, my life is so exciting! After a splendid dinner near SMU, we headed to the Granada....


We chilled out, half-leaning, half-standing, as we waited for the concert to begin. The place began to fill up and I was glad we got our third-tier, stage center spots early on. The crowd was mixed with adults of all ages - some with grey hair. Honestly, I had no idea what to expect here. The opening act - Dana something - was hardly extraordinary and she was unable to hold the restless crowd's attention. I must admit to feeling sorry for her. It takes so much guts to get up there!


Finally, Amos Lee took the stage and he blew me away right off. I have no idea what song he opened with but he was alone on the stage and it was awesome. Remember, I had no idea what to expect but I was surprised: his voice was unexpectedly pleasant!


His band came on after that and the pace quickened. Thankfully, his voice stayed the same, calming and oddly comforting.


There's something for everyone in Mr. Lee's sound which is indie-rockish/folkish with hints of blues and R&B. It's a unique sound and one that I can't get out of my head. Add to that Mr. Lee's ability to put on a truly captivating show and you're in for a treat.


By the end of the night, I wanted to buy all three of Amos Lee's albums. I was well and truly blown away. The only thing missing from the performance was a bit more of the charming smile we saw too infrequently. Performing in this setting is strangely intimate and Mr. Lee seemed to think he needed to convince us of his talent. Well, sir, you did that in the first song. Relax, you're a talent for sure!

1 comment:

Mischief Maker said...

Well unless I count the free christian ones I went to at Uni then you are three concerts ahead of me. Loud music makes my ears ring (comes from my teenage years of playing punishingly loud music).