Thursday, July 2, 2009

Santa Maria Maggiore


Wednesday morning was spent at the conference where I heard some cool papers and met a good friend of my boss' - the man who got us into the Raphael Loggia. He was super sweet and offered to show mom and I around Perugia next week. How nice! Anyways, after that, I set off alone to investigate some churches - some biggies and some smaller ones. I had already been to Santa Maria Maggiore, but this time around was different. I explored everything and took my time, savoring it all.


Maria Maggiore is the best preserved ancient church in Rome, one could argue, with the interior dating to the fifth century. It's in the classic Roman basilica style which is so cool - windows above for light, side aisle, apse. Chapels off the sides were added by subsequent popes. Some of the mosaics - including ones from the Old Testament - are from the 400s! Amazing!


The beautiful apse. The mosaics were so far up they were actually quite difficult to see. One needs binoculars!


One of the newer chapels - still beautiful but not quite as neat!


In the piazza in front of the church, there stands a column that is supposed to be the only one left from the Basilica of Maxentius and Constantine - that great ancient structure that influenced the design of St. Peter's. Awesome!

No comments: