Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Pope Needs A/C


Yesterday was amazing. There's no other word to describe it. My boss has a connection that got us an invite to see the Raphael Loggia at the Vatican. This part of Raphael's rooms is closed to the public. If you look up above in the above pic, to the building with glass on three sides, the Loggia is located in a hall on the left side. These glass arcades were added by Bramante to a significantly older building.


After following a guard through the maze of the museums, he led us through a small, indistinct door to the Loggia. A Swiss guard stood at the end and two others watched us as we oohed and awed. Above is Adam and Eve.


Because there were windows along an entire side, it was hot. Really hot. So, we oohed, aahed, and sweated.


Raphael painted his Loggia in the early 1500s but there were much older decorations along the walls. They were charming!


I don't know who this is, but it's a woman on one of the arches.


We walked, took pics, and studied the relatively small frescoes of Raphael that began with Genesis and ended with Samuel - though he skipped Numbers and Judges. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity!! We even managed to sneak some pics of ourselves. I need to get ones of me from my boss so I have proof I was there. In the above pic, you can see my boss kneeling down. All this looking up is hard on the neck!

No comments: