Monday, June 18, 2012

Petit Jean

We stopped at the Arkansas Visitor Center.
We took Friday off to have a long weekend in Arkansas with my parents.  I never would have thought of Arkansas as a destination for....well, anything, but there's a story to this trip.  My father is in to old, classic cars.  Every year there's a big car event at a state park in northwest Arkansas - Petit Jean.  My parents attend every few years and I went a couple times in my youth.  But never to enjoy the park.  And that's what Mr. Higgins and I did this past weekend. 

Palisades Overlook.
Petit Jean is on top of a mountain - well, a mountain according to Arkansas standards.  There are some stunning views here.  Even though Arkansas is in the midst of a moderate drought, everything was brilliantly green.  Seeing the view above, I can understand why one of the Rockefellers built a home and museum here. 

Bear Cave hike.
On our first day, we did a very short hike around Bear Cave.  The huge rocks were incredible! 

There's a waterfall down there!
We then hiked to an overlook of Cedar Falls, which is supposed to be a 95-foot continuously flowing waterfall.  It was flowing, though there wasn't much water in it.  We were then able to decide to hike down to the falls the next day.......and I'll show you pics in my next post!

Let's just say that both Mr. Higgins and I were surprised by what Petit Jean had to offer.  

No comments: