Friday, June 1, 2012

Outside Looking In

Mr. Higgins loves big budget summer movies....i.e. movies with a lot of explosions.  Thankfully, I don't mind the occasional mindless action movie.  Sure, there are movies that he wants to see that I have no interest in.  Sometimes, I'll go with him and sometimes I won't.  He doesn't want to see all of my movies, either, but he watches some of them, passes on others.  But we share things.  We both love LORD OF THE RINGS, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN etc.  He loves STAR WARS and though I'm not a fanatic in any way, shape, or form, I watch the movies and enjoy them.  

The point is that we share things and respect one another's likes and dislikes.

So what happens when a friend is dating someone who has no respect for his likes....and actually thinks he's crazy for liking such things (the same things we like, for that matter)?  What happens when he starts wanting to see movies he would have laughed at before meeting her?  What happens when she still shows no interest in the things he likes?  

Sharing is good; learning to like new things is good.  But in a relationship, when these things are one-sided, it's a very bad sign.  You can't change who are so that someone will like you.  Trust me, this never works.  Soon, you find out that you've give up everything you like and you resent the person who caused this to happen.  

And, more importantly, how do you, as a friend, react to this?  Do you sit by and let it happen - let him figure it out himself?  Let him make a mistake?  Or do you acknowledge that, at times, she makes him happy and he deserves some measure of happiness.   Why ruin that?  It's a fine line but I guess it's best to let him figure it out.  

Everyone just wants someone.

No comments: