Friday, September 14, 2012

iPhone Dilemma

I do not have an iPhone.  Gasp!  I don't even have a smart phone.  If you don't know me, you're shocked, right?  

I have a dumb phone.  Here's my dilemma: the dumb phone is one it's last legs.   I need a new phone.  When I go online to look at the options, there are all of two dumb phones available and they all look like they belong in the hands of a man at a construction site - ugly and bulky.  Sigh!

Here's the thing: though I love Apple, I don't really want an iPhone.  I don't want access to my email all the time.  I don't want to be surfing the web in the parking lot of a store.  How many times have I had to sit through my friends, at  dinner, checking their email or waiting while they look up something "essential" online?  Hundreds of times.  How many times do I walk behind a student who is reading something on their iPhone - while walking (slowly) down the stairs?  Everyday.  It's annoying.  It's pervasive.  I hate it and I don't want to be one of those people.

The cost is also an issue.  I don't want to shell out at least $70/month for a data plan that I resent!  But I do love Apple.....  In all honesty, I think I would be happier with an iPad (to take on trips instead of my MacBook Pro) and a cute dumb phone. 

I'm sitting in on my professor's class this semester.  Out of 13 students, 2 have iPads, 10 bring laptops to class, and about 10-12 have iPhones.  All of them have smart phones.  Of course, we're talking about a private school where most students drive BMWs or Lexus'.  My class case study is not indicative of most college students, I'm sure. 

However, recently I ran over to the library to pick up a book.  The librarian at circulation had a question and said, "look it up on your phone."  I took immense pride in saying "I have a dumb phone.  Sorry."  That meant she had to turn to the computer.  And do her job. 


No comments: