Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Old Age

I turn 31 next month.  In the same month, my dad will turn 71.  

My dad retired about seven years ago.  In those seven years, I've definitely noticed a mental decline.  I can easily compare him to my former boss, only a year younger at 70.  There's no comparison.  He seems like he's 60.  My dad seems older than his 71 years.  

I've read about how to keep up your mental awareness in old age; my father has never in his entire life done anything like these things.  Of course, everyone is entitled to live their life as they wish.....but if he develops Alzheimer's or dementia, it's not going to be fun for our family.   

A colleague's wife has Alzheimer's.  She's at all of our parties and social functions....and it's heartbreaking to see.  She's asked her husband "how many kids do we have?"  Now, it's getting to the point where she can't be left alone.  

I can't imagine my father going through this.  All of us hope it doesn't happen to those we love but we must be prepared if it does.  

Getting older is not fun, despite the medical advances of our time.  Sure, people are living longer, but, from what I've seen, this is not always a blessing.  When you outlive everyone you love and are immobile, what's the point of continuing on in such an agonizing state?  At that point, I hope I'm mentally able to decline all means of sustaining my own life.  I'd rather not be a drain on society.  I'd rather die happy.  

These are tough topics.  But my parents are getting older.  We can't be afraid to talk about such things.  It's imperative we talk about them.  

No comments: