Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Pineapple and Black-Eyed Pea Salad


There was a recipe I'd been wanting to try for ages now.  When I had plans to cook for a friend who is eating gluten-free, it gave me an excuse to finally make it.  The website where I found the recipe is now offline so I'll provide you with it....

Pineapple and Red Pepper Salad with Black-Eyed Peas
adapted from Bon Appétit. serves 6 (as a main course) - 12 as a side dish


4 c black-eyed peas, rinsed well and soaked overnight
4 c fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and diced (1 large pineapple)
2 roasted red peppers, chopped (or 1 12-oz jar)
1 c celery, chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/3 c fresh cilantro, chopped
3 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 c Dijon mustard
2 T cider vinegar
1/2 c olive oil
2 t salt
black pepper
 

In a large pot, place black-eyed peas and fill with water 3" over the peas. Bring to a boil and cook on high 25-30 minutes, until softened.
 

In large serving bowl, combine cooked peas, pineapple, roasted red peppers, celery, red onion, cilantro and jalapeños. In a small bowl, whisk Dijon mustard, cider vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.  Pour over vegetable/fruit/bean mixture.   Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.

There's another salad I make from this same (now dead) website...and I like the other salad a lot more.  I had high hopes for this one - pineapple is my very favorite fruit! - but something about it didn't mesh with me.  Mr. Higgins likes it more than I do...so each has their own tastes.  Maybe the black-eyed peas do it in for me (I've never been a fan).

No comments: