Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Maisie Dobbs

I just finished a novel, chosen by my book group last month (I'm a bit behind), called Maisie Dobbs.  Jacqueline Winspear has created a character, and a series, that is surprisingly, very moving.  

My review:

I'd long heard Winspear's series, Maisie Dobbs, but, for some reason, didn't feel the need to read it.  After watching Downton Abbey, it seemed to be in that very similar vein and, unlike every female I know, I don't have an immediate love of everything British.  Quite the contrary.  

And so I expected a rather emotionless novel based on a character born of privilege.  I was wrong on one account - Maisie comes from the lower classes and is able to get a good education only because she happens to gain the attention of wealthy benefactors.  And then World War I happens, whereupon Maisie goes to nurse wounded soldiers in France.  After the war, she becomes a private investigator, using the skills she learned earlier in life from her mentor.  

Maisie makes a good private investigator - she's very analytical. She's not completely emotionless but her emotions are frequently unknown to the reader.  I really enjoyed her story, though, especially of how she nursed in the war and fell in love for the first time.  

I'm tempted to read more, though mysteries are never really my favorite.  Maisie's story, however, may keep me interested.

No comments: