Friday, December 22, 2017

Beneath a Scarlet Sky

I recently finished a very good book, based on a man's true story during World War II, Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan.

My Goodreads review:

Though I've about had my fill of World War II novels, this one came highly recommended and so I read it when it was loaned to me.

This true story is, indeed, amazing.  Sullivan recounts the life of young Pino Lella during the Nazi occupation of northern Italy.  When the Allied bombardment of Milan becomes too dangerous, Pino's family sends him to the mountains where he helps with an underground railway to get Jews out of Italy.  As if that isn't enough, when Pino becomes old enough to get drafted by the Germans, he joins them.... as a spy for his beloved Italy.

I was, at first, concerned with liking Pino, as he comes across a bit too foolhardy.  But the circumstances of war require him to mature and his story is truly inspiring.  It shows that the worst events in history can bring out the best in humanity.

No comments: