Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More Uneasiness

My uneasiness in my new, albeit temporary, neighborhood has increased.

When I went to mow the lawn on Friday night (yes, so much excitement on a Friday night!), I found that someone had undone - and messily re-done - the chain on the backyard gate. Instead of breaking the lock, they undid the hook in the fence that holds the chain.

I tried not to panic and thought perhaps the power company had been back to check the meter.... But a smart meter was installed in June, making house visits obsolete. I didn't sleep much Friday night. On Monday I called the power company and they confirmed that there has been no house visits since July.

Someone was definitely in my backyard. There's absolutely nothing to steal back there but that doesn't make me feel any better. I fixed the hook and tightened the chain so much so that a wrist can't even fit through the gate. Hopefully that will keep this from happening again.

I hope.


2 comments:

lizmiller said...

Have you called the cops yet? I'd rather you feel safe going home knowing that the cops are patrolling your neighborhood, than you ending up in a worse situation.

~PS-This is a good enough reason to call the cops.

Doniamarie said...

Liz, I filed a police report online. Never thought I'd do such a thing but perhaps they'll increase patrols in the neighborhood!