Friday, March 23, 2012

Childhood Classics

Mr. Higgins and I have been watching some of our favorite movies from our childhoods. It's been a lot of fun!

I think the most interesting of them all was BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS. I vaguely remembered bits and pieces of this movie so it was a delight to fill in the gaps. For instance, I had completely forgotten the Nazi plot line!

ANNIE was something I thought I remembered pretty well. However, I did not remember the bad language...and how the ladies' dresses were very revealing when they were dancing around! Geez! I must have watched this on TV back in the day, where the language was cleaned up a bit.

Of course, I'd seen THE SOUND OF MUSIC several times but it was fun to watch it all the way through on Blu-Ray. And it's always a joy to watch Julie Andrews.

They really don't make movies like they used to, do they? I was going to say that a lot of children's movies of today have political overtones....but so did all the movies I mentioned above. The Nazis play a part in two and doesn't Annie meet with FDR and talk about the New Deal? And look at the significance of Daddy Warbucks' name!

After watching these, one thing is for sure: the music will stay with you for days and weeks after. Ha!

No comments: