Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Religious Digression

In case you haven't figured it out, I work in a religion department. My colleagues are extremely intelligent people who have broad religious interests and understandings. They teach tolerance to college kids who probably have ever known one religion.

So imagine my surprise when I heard not one, not two, but FOUR digressions on their part on the absurdity of the Catholic Church yesterday. Really?

Most of you know that I'm Catholic. While I have some issues with my Church, and while I'm not the most faithful of Mass attendees of late, I will never be anything other than Catholic. Why? Because it's the oldest form of Christianity; it's the root of all Christianity; and I believe the purest form of anything is the oldest form.

Most of my colleagues know that I'm Catholic...and I'm amazed that I'm the only Catholic in my department (we are in the deep, Protestant South, however). I couldn't believe what I was hearing yesterday! I know that none of them meant to insult me personally. I know that none of them gave it a second thought....and that's the problem. Everyone is so self-absorbed that they forget that what they do affects others.

And I expect this from most people....but not the intelligent among us. Especially those who open so many young minds to the religious variety of our world.

P.S. Just because Rick Santorum is crazy and Catholic, doesn't mean the rest of us are. That's like assuming all Protestants are members of the Ku Klux Klan.

No comments: