Thursday, January 17, 2013

Baked Onion Rings


I like onion rings.  Growing up, my dad ordered them constantly and I hated them - just to be annoying and angsty, I think. Onions were never my favorite thing, but they've grown on me. A lot.  

Over the past few months, I'd come across two recipes for Baked Onion Rings.  One from Skinny Taste and another from Simply Scratch.  Feeling adventurous over the weekend, I decided to try the recipe from Skinny Taste...only I forgot buttermilk at the store.  So, I turned to Simply Scratch. 

First off, these were very good.  I liked them; Mr. Higgins liked them.  My only complaint is that dredging onion rings through flour, then egg whites, then breadcrumbs is not nearly as fun as I thought it would be.  It's messy...and I hate messes.  I filled two baking sheets of rings and decided to stop - my breadcrumbs were almost gone and my egg whites looked dirty.  Not to mention my patience was wearing thin.  


Dividing the two baking sheets between the two of us, my portion is above.  I'd make them again.....except for the mess.  But I recommend them if you're craving fried food but don't want to detour from your diet.

No comments: