Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Homemade Tomato Soup

If you had seen my kitchen on Sunday, you would have laughed.  I had an explosion....of sorts. Er.....

I had the bright idea of making some soups to freeze for lunches and dinners.  I was happily boiling my tomatoes and peppers for my new favorite recipe - homemade tomato soup.  Having made this soup once before, I thought I was a pro at it.  Not so.  

When I went to blend the tomatoes/broth into creamy goodness....  The blender exploded.  The top, despite my holding it down, busted forth and tomato brothy-ness went everywhere.  EVER-Y-WHERE!  

I stopped, stunned into silence.  "What just happened?" Mr. Higgins asked from the couch.  "Uh....," I said.  "Are you okay?" he asked.  "Maybe," I said.  "Did you mean to press the button?" he asked.  "Yes," I said.  "Were you holding down the lid?" he asked.  Yes, yes, I was. 

I refused help as I cleaned up my mess.  Finally, I glanced down at my wrist, which had been hurting.  It had taken the brunt of the hot broth eruption and was an angry red.  I finally stopped cleaning and stuck it under cold water.  Already, angry red blisters were forming. 

Terrified of the evil blender, I put the rest of the tomatoes/broth in my Ninja.  Thank goodness for that nifty machine!  Once I started, I remembered using the Ninja when I made the soup previously.  Sigh!  I must really remember to write down these helpful hints!

I love this tomato soup and highly recommend it if you like Campbell's but are terrified of all the sodium and neurotoxins (MSG) it contains.  That being said, I added salt, pepper, and tons of other spices (cilantro, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes) to my soup.  It's just too delicious!  And almost, almost worth a few burns.  Ha!

No comments: