Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Stew and Cornbread

Over the weekend, I was once again inspired to make a soup to freeze for lunches and quick dinners.  I saw this recipe for Black Bean, Chicken, and Red Pepper Stew and was immediately tempted.  There was some chicken in my freezer that really needed to be eaten.... 

I had plans on Saturday to spend the day with my best friend, AL.  I emailed her for approval of the recipe and voila!  I made it for our lunch and it was delicious!  Roasted red peppers may just be my new favorite food.  This recipe calls for a whole jar of them! 

If you plan on making this stew, be sure to read over the recipe.  It details crock-pot instructions; the stove-top directions are at the bottom.  (I had to do this stove-top, which uses more broth.)

To go wtih our stew, I wanted cornbread.  But....I'm trying to be calorie-conscious leading up to our next cruise (in a week!).  So, I turned to my Weight Watchers cookbook (which I always forget I own).  Their cornbread recipe was.....a little hard and lacking in any moisture whatsoever...but each muffin was only 100 calories.  My one true love of all cornbread, Dorie Greenspan's Corniest Corn Muffins, comes in at 180 calories per muffin.  Next time, when I have no swimsuit in which to look good, I'll revert to Dorie's muffins.  But Weight Watchers is good when you have to count every one of those pesky calories!

No comments: