Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Our Loyal Friends

Even though I'm away on vacation, I'm not lacking in topics today....

In the past five months, three dogs of my acquaintance have died.  One I knew very well and I will sincerely miss him and the joy he brought to my best friend's home.  The other two dogs belonged to neighbors.  

Just the other night we got word that our next door neighbor's dog had passed away.  I was sitting, painting my toenails in preparation for the cruise, so Mr. Higgins got the door when they knocked.  I could hear most of what was said. It was a sad story and I know very well how hard it is to lose a pet.

But two things struck me as I sat there and listened...

1.  I realized just how introverted Mr. Higgins and I are.  The last thing we would do if one of the cats died is knock on the neighbors' door to let them know.  True, they haven't really spent time with our cats; we had petted their dog on numerous occasions.  But we're just not the type who would go out of our way to seek consolation from a near-stranger.  If we passed the neighbors in the street, we may tell them then, but we would not dream of knocking on their door to tell them.  

That being said, I know where they're coming from.  Perhaps they just wanted to talk to someone who had known - in passing - their dog.  Perhaps this was a step in their grieving process.  Either way, it struck me as a bit odd.

2.  Even if we passed neighbors on the street and told them of the death of one of our cats, they would hardly care.  Cats, after all, are not out and about in the neighborhood (unless they are outdoor cats - and ours are not).  Cats get such a bad rap for being antisocial.  This may be true, but I am antisocial.  It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.  

Cats are deeply loyal pets.  Our cat, Sidious, is so loyal to Mr. Higgins that after three years of knowing me, she hardly lets me pet her.  Her affection is for her owner alone.  There's something to be said for that, even when she annoys me!  Cats are such a calming influence, they lower blood pressure.  Please find a dog that calm!

-------------

I grew up around dogs.  I love dogs!  We seem so determined to classify everyone as a "dog-person" or "cat-person," it really is ridiculous.  I'd actually say I'm both.  I'm also an introvert who, on very rare occasions, has the need to be slightly extroverted.   

I've lost two cats now - two dear pets - and it's heartbreaking even to this day.  I saw dogs pass away growing up...  Losing a pet in any way is extremely difficult.  Perhaps it's because it's hard to find a person as loyal as a pet....and we should not take any of them for granted.

R.I.P.  Colby, Winter, and Molly. 

No comments: