Monday, March 7, 2016

Black Ships

I needed a small paperback to take on our cruise last week.  Black Ships, by Jo Graham, has been sitting on my shelf and looking rather appealing.  And so I packed it.  

My Goodreads review:

This book was well reviewed and, considering my love of ancient history, I decided to buy it. I did not know, until a few chapters in that this was the story of Aeneas' years after the fall of Troy and up to his settling in Latium. Awesome!

Graham writes historical fiction very well and she chose a marvelous character through which to tell Aeneas' story - Gull, or Pythia - an oracle. Gull foresees the arrival of Aeneas and determines that her fate is to help him find a new home. They travel far - and have a long stay in Egypt. The peoples they meet along the way are fascinating, as are their new brothers in Latium.

This was a fast, easy read and I thoroughly enjoyed Graham's storytelling.

No comments: