Thursday, March 23, 2017

Hidden Figures

For the month of March, my book group chose to read Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly.  

My Goodreads review:


I was very curious about this novel because a) I had no idea women worked at NASA back in the days of the race to space and b) I didn't know black women were among them.  When I picture NASA in those days, I see a lot of white men in polyester suits with cigarettes dangling from their mouths.  Yep, no joke.

So I was happy to read this novel and learn that among those cigarette smoking, polyester-clad white men were professional black women.  And what intelligent women they were!  It blows my mind - especially because I'm horrible at math - that these women worked as computers.

And to consider what black women had to overcome just to receive a good education.  I'm so proud of of them and for their accomplishments at NASA.  Shetterly wrote a wonderful book and it was a pleasure to read.

No comments: