Thursday, August 3, 2017

The Guernsey Literary...

My mother-in-law recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows) to me - and I wanted to read it, knowing that movie was being made, base on the novel.  It took me about 25 pages to get hooked and then it was a super fast, enjoyable read.

My Goodreads review:

I was a bit skeptical of this book at first because a) I get tired of WWII novels and b) generally do not like novels consisting entirely of correspondence. But Juliet quickly won me over with her quirky attitude and clumsy charm. She is a heroin for the real woman and that is extremely refreshing.

Prior to this novel, I had no idea Guernsey existed and now that I've read about it, I long to visit it one day. The stories told of the German Occupation were heartbreaking and, just like the residents of Guernsey, one begins to feel sorry for the German soldiers stationed on the island, as well. Everyone on Guernsey was starving. 

The characters in this novel are priceless. I wish my neighborhood consisted of such delightful people. And these people are what make this novel so touching.

No comments: