Thursday, August 30, 2018

Short Rows


A while back, as in last year, I wanted to knit a fabulous, big shawl with a lovely gradient set I'd purchased from Sundara Yarn.  I found a lovely pattern called Verum, by Jana Huck, that I innocuously thought would be an easy knit. 

Well, it is.  But let me tell you this - I will never, ever knit anything as big as a shawl that has the term "short rows" anywhere in the pattern.  This entire pattern is short rows - well, 85% of it is, to be fair.  But the short rows are never ending.  They are a time suck.  Just when you think, "only a few more," days go by until you finish them.  They are horrible.  They were created by the devil.  And I'll be happy if I never see one again - except in socks, of course (they need a heel, after all!).


Sigh.  That being said, the pattern is nice.  It's good, mindless knitting but also very clever.  I had to ask Jana a question on Ravelry and she was mostly nice - and a tiny bit snarky.  But then, I did question her instructions.

I'll be glad to have this project over.  I was almost halfway done when I picked it up again at the beginning of August.  I wanted to finish it for my August FO.  We'll see....it's going to be close!

No comments: