Thursday, April 8, 2010

Environmentally...Overwhelmed

I will be honest and say that my life is not very "green." I'm not intentionally trying to hurt the earth or myself, but, frankly, it's overwhelming to think of all the ways one can "go green" and then to figure out what is practical and affordable. Let's break it down...

Food. I know I should be more careful about what I eat. I've read (some of one book by) Michael Pollan. I know the horrific state of our meat industry. Likewise, the preservatives and scary chemicals in most common foods is not unknown to me. But I'm not a big vegetable person and I can't figure out, for the life of me, how to cook tofu well. So, I'm left feeling as if I have few (low-fat) options...when I'm not completely overwhelmed.

Beauty and Household Products. I try to do better with cleaning products than anything else, as these enter our waste-water. This is one area where I feel like I've made good strides. Beauty products, though... I have a few eco-friendly, crazy-chemical-free products but my problem here is cost. I can't afford to be environmentally conscious here!

Energy. This is a hot topic of late with my upcoming move. I would like nothing more than to have "green" energy. But this is much more expensive than normal, dirty energy. I would like to be more environmentally responsible in this area when I feel like I have the means to do so.

I dont' think I'm a wasteful person so I guess the best I can do is take it one step at a time...baby steps. Do what I can, when I can, and try not to kill myself with toxic chemicals. I just find it ironic that this is not something that ever entered into my parent's thinking at my age. This is a new thing for our generation. It's our responsbility. No pressure.

No comments: