Thursday, December 16, 2010

Historical Fiction

I'm completely hooked on The Devil's Queen right now. I'll save the real review for later but let me say this... This is what historical fiction should be and Kalogridis writes it extremely well.

It's such a joy to find a book that so completely enthralls. And, better when it's based on a real story. This is the kind of fiction I want to write. It's not obtuse or full of itself, it's simply great storytelling spun around real events and real people.

Hopefully, at some point in the near future, I'll feel competent enough to try to write such a story myself. I've always lacked the confidence to even start. Of course, I've written fiction, but adding the 'historical' element is the scary part.

Which makes me admire good historical fiction all the more.

No comments: