Monday, March 21, 2011

Scary Times

Last week ended up being an insane time. On Wednesday night, I got a frantic call from my mom saying my dad had had what appeared to be a stroke and she was following the ambulance to the hospital.

My shock could not have been any greater. My dad is getting older, sure, at 69...but a stroke? After a night of tests in the ER and all of Thursday filled with more tests, there were no answers except one clue....my dad had not had a stroke. It was something else, possibly heart related. This, also, made no sense to me. My dad is not obese, he's active, and he doesn't have bad eating habits.

I left on Thursday morning to be with my parents in the hospital. It was a long day . My dad is set to see more doctors this week, so hopefully we'll figure out what happened.

It seems too early to be having parental health issues and I'm not at all sure I'm ready to start down this road. My dad has always been an omniscient presence, someone who can fix anything, do anything, and advise on everything. It was very traumatic to see him in the hospital.

But he's alright.....and for that I'm very grateful.

No comments: