Tuesday, March 29, 2011

World War Z

I was a little hesitant about reading a zombie book (ew!), a genre in which I don't usually have any interest. However, after hearing Mr. Higgins and his friends talk about World War Z, my interest grew, mainly because this book sounded truly unique.

Max Brooks' World War Z is an oral history of a war we learn about only after the fact. There is no narrative, no easy time line to follow... We must piece all this together from the accounts of dozens of eyewitnesses from all over the globe. Yes, this is a book about zombies but it's really a book about humanity and how we overcome and succumb to tragedy and hardship. The survival stories are raw, the details gory, but this book never left me bored. I always wanted more.

For instance... No zombie book or movie (Brooks' included) ever explains how a zombie epidemic begins, or where the first zombie comes from. This would be intriguing in itself.

Brad Pitt is trying to make a movie out of World War Z and I hope he succeeds, though I'm not a Pitt fan. It would be an interesting movie to watch, for sure.

I would definitely recommend Brooks' tale. It's engrossing...and gory.

No comments: