Thursday, April 21, 2011

10 Days and a Problem

A light came on in my Honda Civic a few weeks ago. An airbag light. I didn't think much of it....but then it stayed on.

I was scheduled to take my car in for some service and asked the guy to check it out. Of course, it costs $100 just to hook it up to the computer to see what's wrong. Arrrrg!

After a few hours, they came back. Something was wrong with the electrical system controlling the airbags. The airbags were not working, as a result. To repair this problem, they have to take the seats out and go under the floor board to repair the problem. The guy said it would cost $900.

I was stunned, as you can imagine. I didn't think this was a real problem. The guy said I should contact Honda because the airbags should not have problems on such a relatively young car. Then he said, he'd talk to Honda for me. He came back and said Honda would cover all but $250 of the repair. Looking at a wedding and honeymoon on the horizon, this was still a lot of money for me, not to mention the money spent on service that day.

Still stunned, I went home. I asked my dad what he thought. My dad is a car guy but isn't really a safety guy; he could care less. But even he thought it was prudent to get it fixed. In the end, I agreed. Fate does funny things and I could see getting hit by a drunk driver, two weeks after my wedding, when I have no airbags.

So, on top of everything else, ten days before my wedding, my car is getting taken apart and put back together - well, the inside of it, at least. Great. As if I need more stresses at the moment!

No comments: