Friday, September 13, 2013

Inferno

I never forgave Dan Brown for comparing the Eiffel tower to a phallus.  And then I was a little miffed by the whole Jesus bloodline thing.  Suffice it to say that I was fine with having read the DaVinci Code and that's it by Dan Brown. 

But my husband likes Dan Brown's novels.  He bought and read Inferno and really liked it.  The fact that it made him interested in Italy - someplace I'd really like to take him some day - made me silently, begrudgingly thank Mr. Brown. 

And so, after Mr. Higgins asked me very nicely, I agreed to read Dan Brown's latest.  Here's the review I posted on Goodreads:

I continue to be torn on my opinion of Dan Brown. He writes for the masses; this is no great work of literature. But he exposes those masses to history, religious concepts, and artwork that most people would never learn about otherwise.

Most people, for instance, have only a basic knowledge of Dante. Brown focuses so much time on the medieval writer that people may become interested in his work, thereby picking up The Divine Comedy one day. A lot of people never get to Florence to learn about her treasures; Brown exposes them to this fabulous city.

Yet the writing is mediocre and Langdon's "symbologist" title is a joke (let's call iconography what it is, please) but... I will say one thing: Brown comes up with great fast-paced story lines filled with action and interspersed with history and art. Ant that's appealing. 


I grudgingly recommend it if you like art and/or Italy - and need a fast read.  

P. S. Mr. Higgins does not agree with my review.   

No comments: