Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Kale Salad (2015:16)

A restaurant near campus has an amazing kale salad.  I didn't know if I would like kale, but I love that salad!  When I went looking for a recipe, I stumbled across this one and it sounded very similar.

I made a few substitutions….  Instead of pepitas, I used slivered almonds.  I really wanted to do the ginger, but at $9 for a little bottle, I skipped it.  The recipe didn't say to massage the kale, but I did, as I'd read it really helps with the bitterness.  I did this, after cleaning and ripping apart the kale.  Just rub it all together and between your fingers for about five minutes.  I did this without the dressing and it worked fine.  Your kale should shrink to half the size.  

After whipping up the dressing, I threw it all together.  Yum!  It's very similar to the kale salad at the restaurant so I was happy!  On the second day, I was really tasting the vinegar, so the next time, I cut it in half and that really helped.  It did taste better after sitting in the fridge for a day but I doubt it would last another day without wilting.  

I'm happy!  I can now totally do kale!

No comments: