Monday, April 11, 2016

Week One: Peak 10 Challenge #5

Holy cow!  I'm up to my fifth Peak 10 Challenge!??!  Dang!  It's now my third year with this program and I spend four months of every year going through it.  Wow.  

That should tell you something: it's effective!  

I'm excited to get into this fifth round - especially since I saw great numbers on my Peak Fit Test on Sunday.  I know Michelle Dozois' program will whip me into even better shape.....because I need to get into a bikini in early June!

Monday: PeakFit Pure Cardio + walk

I always love getting back into Pure Cardio.  It's just so much fun!  After weeks of doing interval workouts with Amy Dixon and Jeffrey Scott on Glo, it's interesting to get back into Michelle's intervals.  Dixon and Scott do moves for 30 second bursts and then you rest for 30 seconds; repeat, repeat....  Michelle guides you through a 5-minute hill - low impact gives way to high impact and, in the CIBs and CSs, all the way up to a peak.  It's different - and challenging!  Of course, Pure Cardio has no peaks, thank goodness.  At lunch, I walked outside for 25 minutes - such a lovely day!

Tuesday:  Amy's Kickboxing Skills and Drills + Ilyse's Sweaty, Sassy, and Strong + weights


After three straight days of high impact, I decided to take it down a notch today.  For the first four weeks of a Peak 10 Challenge, I get a light day.  After that, it's gone, so I have to enjoy these four weeks!  Amy's kickboxing was a level 2, so not too intense.  I always sweat, though.  Ilyse's dance workout is fun - and definitely lighter.  At lunch, I did weights at the rec center, even though I still ached from home weights on Sunday. Dang.  

Wednesday: PeakFit Anytime Anywhere No Excuse Workout + walk

Originally, I was going to give myself another week before doing this workout (hereby called Anytime Anywhere or AA), the toughest (in my opinion) of the PeakFit workouts.  But then I remembered the pizza last weekend.  And so, off I went this morning with my inaugural AA workout.  And it actually wasn't so bad.  Amazing!  I guess my fitness level really is increasing!  And I'm sure the Combat HIIT workouts help, too.  My only modification was to skip the burpees in the last peak - I subbed a different move.  At lunch, I walked to a cafe to meet my old boss - so a 20-minute round-trip walk!

Thursday:  Petra's Lengthen and Energize


I needed very light today - my stomach was not happy.  And so I did one of Petra's workouts on Glo.  I haven't done many of hers, because she's pretty easy compared to the others I like.  But today, she sounded infinitely appealing.  And this was a good flowy workout - a bit of yoga and some good flow.  I added on five minutes of my own stretch at the end.

Friday:  Ilyse's Your Best Sweaty Self + Full-On Cardio Blast

My stomach was still acting up but by the end of the day, I was feeling better.  And so I attempted some heavier cardio.  Ilyse's Sweaty workout is indeed sweaty.  The tuck jumps at the end almost kill me every time.  Her Cardio Blast is a challenge - just because you jump and hop and run for very long periods.  I got through it….and felt better afterward.

Saturday:  Peak 10 Cardio Interval Burn + Dozois' Tip Top Shape

Since my workouts are screwed up, I'm doing a no-no: weights two days in a  row.  I started this CIB, confident that I could get through it…and then the first peak was tuck jumps.  Ugh.  H.A.T.E.  Thankfully, it was all downhill after that!  When it was done, I did Michelle's weighted workout on Glo - skipping the warm-up and cool down. Then, five minutes with the 12lbs weights followed by fifteen minutes of stretching and abs.  Whew.  

Sunday: Peak 10 Cardio Strength + Ilyse's Groovy Dance Party

I thought this CS would kill me….and it didn't.  Wow!  I never like the floor-work - it's tough! - but I got through it with relatively little pain.  The tuck jumps, of course, got me, but I made it through that peak.  After that 50 minutes, I did 20 minutes of Ilyse's dance workout - for steps and a longer workout.  Then, five minutes with the 12lbs weight; and finally, a 15-minute stretch and ab work.  

Calorie Counts:

I had three good days this week, below 1200 calories.  The other days were not that good, except for Sunday when I stuck to my diet.

No comments: