Friday, July 22, 2016

A Desperate Fortune

I forgot that Susanna Kearsley's novel, A Desperate Fortune, had been loaned to me….and then I thought I'd best get it read!  After having read several of Kearsley's, I knew what to expect, or so I thought.

My Goodreads review:

I thought I was a bit tired of Kearsley's Jacobite historical fiction….and then this book proved me wrong.  This novel, however, did not focus as much on the Jacobite cause.  Instead, it told the story of one woman, Mary Dundas, on the fringes of the rebellion who led a rather ordinary life….until she's asked to go on a secret mission.  

The story alternates between Mary's and a modern day code-breaker who is tasked with deciphering Mary's journal for a Jacobite historian.  Again, I thought this storyline would bore me but somehow Kearsley kept me reading and wanting more - from both time periods.  

No comments: