Friday, September 15, 2017

Cathe Friedrich: HIIT DVD (Review)

I'm in the midst of a Cathe journey and am really enjoying myself!  I only truly discovered Cathe earlier this year when I subscribed to her Live streaming workouts.  Now, I subscribe to get all her workouts via streaming - and I love it!  Cathe excels at HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training - so this DVD really showcases her talents.



The first time I did this video, I was a bit scared.  Most of Cathe's "normal" cardio is HIIT/circuit-like - so what was a DVD dedicated to HIIT going to be like?...  Great!

There are three HIIT workouts on this DVD, all of them are about 30 minutes in length, and that includes the warm-up and cool-down. That makes these workouts a great addition to weight days when you want just a bit of cardio in addition to all that strength work.

HIIT #1 - 40/20, which means 40 seconds of work, 20 seconds of rest.  For this workout, you'll need a step, which I don't have.  The warm-up is fast and intense to get you ready to go.  There are 4 HIIT circuits and after each one, you are given a full minute of rest.  Thank goodness!  This HIIT has a lot of jumping and tuck-jumps. It works you hard...but it's not the most difficult HIIT on this DVD.

HIIT #2 - 30/30, which is 30 seconds on, 30 off.  This HIIT was the easiest of the three for me, though you don't get the full minute rest like in the 40/20 HIIT.  Instead, you go and go for the full time.  You need a step for this workout, as well.  Since I don't have a step, I squat deeper, jump higher, and go faster to work as hard as Cathe.  Whew!

HIIT #3 - Pyramid....  This one is the toughest.  The HIITs get longer and longer....and then it reverses - they get shorter and shorter, to come back down - like a pyramid.  Then you have a break (a minute) and do the entire thing over again.  No equipment is needed for this one and yet it is the most difficult.  When you're at the top of the pyramid, these HIITs just won't end.  This workout exhausts me.  


But I love being able to say that I can get through these and still do an hour-long strength workout afterward, like STS.  This is a great addition to Cathe's library of DVDs. 

Clips are available here.

Bottom Line: This is an advanced collection of HIIT workouts. You won't find a better HIIT routine - all of them are that good, making this DVD a great investment.

No comments: