Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Laughing Without an Accent

I've finally finished reading a short book - that took way too long for me to read...  My university chose this book as it's common reading for 2017. That means that every incoming freshman is required to read this book.  Every year, it's always fun to see what the common reading committee will choose.  This year, Laughing Without an Accent, by Firoozeh Dumas, was an appropriate, though somewhat lackluster choice.  

My Goodreads review:


My book group chose to read this and it is a good, solid memoir. It is in no way groundbreaking or terribly insightful, but Dumas has a nice humor that makes her stories endearing. The stories of her youth in Iran were, by far, my favorite. I guess the main thing I disliked about this novel was not knowing what happened in the gaps between her anecdotes. How did she meet her French husband? Was she impacted by 9/11? That being said, I enjoyed this book and am glad to have read it.

No comments: