Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Reproduction

Liz's comment on yesterday's post brings up an interesting topic and one that I don't think I've discussed here: kids.

I know many women - and men - have a natural yearning to reproduce. They know exactly how many kids they want once they're able to understand where babies come from - or before. They may even have names picked out. They look at babies and just want to hold them. They see a pregnant woman and have to touch her belly.

I'm not one of these people. I've never felt the desire or the urge to have kids. Sure, some babies are cute but once they open their mouth - to scream, to spit up, to drool - I'm done. I have no patience and I know I would make a horrible parent. And, personally, I think it's very responsible to know that I don't want to be the kind of parent I would become. I'm not going to put a child through that - or myself. And, oh yes... I don't want to give birth. I don't think that I must give birth to be a real woman. That's not some sort of rite of passage I feel the need with which to torture myself. I'm good, just the way I am!

And no, I've not "grown out" of my thinking, nor will I ever.

(And, for the record, I know have the "Reproduction" song from GREASE 2 stuck in my head. Ugh!)

No comments: