Monday, August 9, 2010

A Shower

My best friend, AL, is getting married. It's such an exciting time for her and for her family! Yesterday, her cousins threw her a bridal shower, to which I was invited.

Very few of my friends have married and none of my close friends have yet to tie the knot. AL is the first. As a result, I'm far removed from the bridal scene and all the traditions that accompany it. Frankly, I've never even paid attention to such things as I was always too afraid of getting my hopes up. Marriage was not something I was sure to be in my future.

And so the whole bridal shower is an interesting cultural phenomenon, in my mind. I like the idea of all your close female friends and relatives gathering around you to wish you every happiness. It's a lovely thing. And it was a lovely day.

Still, I couldn't help but think of my own situation. I have an extremely small family. And sometimes, when I see large, happy families, it makes me a bit sad. I've never had that. I have no idea what it's like to be known, since birth, by so many people. I'm lucky if my cousins remember my name! Ha!

But it made me happy to see AL's family so happy. She's lucky to have them - and vice versa!

2 comments:

lizmiller said...

This just means you need to have LOTS of kids :P

Doniamarie said...

Ha!....never. Never, never, never, never, never, never ever ever! Ever!

But, granted, if I were a normal person that would be the logical option.

:-)