Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Suspicious Activity

Last night, I was outside watering in the backyard. I had already done the front yard, locked the gate, and was diligently watering the back plants. Next to the house is an old, abandoned motel. During the day, teachers from the elementary school across the street park there. At night, it's a dark parking lot next to the house. This is the one thing about the house that makes me uneasy. During the day it's fine but at night....well, anyone can sit there and watch the house.

Around seven o'clock, I heard someone pull into the parking lot. I'd already watched all the teachers leave so I knew it was someone else. I heard someone step on the dry grass and leaves on the other side of the backyard fence. I stopped watering. Through the fence - a wooden fence with a few holes - I could see someone moving around. I waited until I heard no more steps and then I moved. I unlocked the gate and walked around the front of the house and over to look at the car in the parking lot. Someone was now inside the car. It was too far away for me to see the license plate - curse my horrible eyes! - so I ran around and back inside the house.

I looked through all the windows in the house - which look towards the lot - trying to see the license plate. As I looked, the car backed up and slowly exited the lot. I tried again - and failed - to read the license plate. Actually, I don't think there was one!

I thought for a moment, looked up the non-emergency number for the police, and called. A very nice lady said she would send out an order for more patrols in the area. She also said to not hesitate to call 911 if I ever feel uneasy.

Though there was a break-in next door, I've never felt physically uneasy in that house until last night. To hear someone walking around the brush on the other side of the fence was more unnerving than I can say. I was so close to calling 911 - and then the guy left. My superior vehicle identification skills even let me down - all I can say about the car is that it was a late '90s American-made silver 4-door.

At least the police know to keep an eye out. And there's a police station really close by. That's something. Right?

1 comment:

lizmiller said...

Please be extra cautious, Donia. This maybe the same person that robbed your neighbor, and could be staking out the rest of the neighborhood.