Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bad News

My mother sent me a text on Saturday when I was away from my phone: "Call ASAP."

I'm sure any son/daughter would get a little scared by such a message when they have parents aged sixty or over. I called her back and got unexpected - and disturbing - news....

My parent's neighbors had lit a fire which had gotten out of control. It spread to my parent's property and burned about two-thirds of the trees/brush near their entrance. That's about a quarter-mile from the house - so no one was in immediate danger - but it's still pretty scary. The little volunteer fire department (yes, this is the country!) didn't arrive until twenty minutes after they were called, so my parents were out there with rakes and hoses, trying to keep it from spreading.

Outside of the snow and ice, it's been exceedingly dry here and I'm 90% sure there were burn bans in effect. So what in the world would have made the idiot neighbors start a fire!?!

I told my parents to sleep with one eye and ear open... And the fire was still going on Sunday.... It's a scary thing...but at least my parents are safe and sound.

No comments: