Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hibernating....

The arctic front moved into Texas early Tuesday morning. I awoke several times - at 3am, 4am, and 5am, to seeing blowing snow and sleet - unlike anything I've seen in Texas. By the time I got up for good, around 6:30, we had about 2-3 inches of snow/sleet on the ground.

Once I got up the nerve to brave the 20-something-degree weather and biting wind chill, I ventured outside. Underneath all that snow and sleet is a sheet of solid ice. Eventually the sun came out and a bit of the ice melted....but not the driveway, which remains shaded all day long.

Last night temperatures bottomed out at around ten degrees. The Texas power grid is not equipped to deal with those kinds of temperatures. So, we woke up to rolling power outages, mandated by the electrical council. There's no sun to melt the ice and highs are not expected to get above freezing until Friday, with a prediction of 34.

I like cold weather and I like hibernating during it....but this is just a little too extreme, even for me. In Michigan, we were equipped to handle extreme winter weather and there were no real worries - except driving - associated with it. That's not the case here in Texas.

So, we're on our second Snow Day. Yippee.

No comments: