Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Swan Thieves

Elizabeth Kostova's second book, The Swan Thieves, turned out to be a very enjoyable book, despite my early doubts.

I'm not really an art person. I like it but I have little patience for modern art or anything that must be interpreted. I'm a direct person and I like art that is direct. Kostova's book sounded interesting but the whole story revolved around painters, which left me skeptical.

Here's a summary... A rising star in the art world, Robert Oliver, suddenly tries to attack and destroy a painting at the National Gallery of Art. He is placed in the care of Andrew Marlowe, a psychiatrist who paints as a hobby. Oliver refuses to talk so Marlowe must try to find out what caused such a violent reaction in Oliver through the two loves of his life. In so doing, a love story in another time and place is unveiled.

It's always a challenge reading about someone you dislike...and I disliked Robert Oliver. He is the epitome of a self-centered artist, gifted but obsessed only with his art and muse, not with his loved ones. I find irresponsibility appalling and no one is more irresponsible than this man. Still....Kostova is such a gifted writer that uncovering his secrets is intriguing.

I wish Kostova would do historical fiction. Her writing style is perfect for it!

No comments: