Friday, January 27, 2012

The Dress Lodger

The other day, I finished reading The Dress Lodger by Sheri Holman. Here's the review I posted I Goodreads:

This book is quite unique. The subject matter is gory, the main character's profession risque, the setting filthy. Yet I loved Gustine the moment I met her: a fifteen-year-old who works two jobs - one of which is that of a prostitute - to provide for her son.

The setting is historically interesting.... It's nineteenth century Britain and cholera has finally made it around the globe to land in Sunderland, England. This plague will ultimately kill thousands and will set the poor against the rich. The doctors frantically look for a cure...with no cadavers to examine and learn from.

This was a fascinating - and graphic - account of one woman's harrowing journey through the cholera epidemic.

No comments: