Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wolf Hall

I finally finished Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. This is a 500 page book about the career of Thomas Cromwell as he climbs the ranks in Henry VIII's court.

Let me first say that this book was shoved at me by a professor - "you must read this if you like historical fiction." This professor knows very little about me and I'm a bit annoyed that she would loan me a book. I know it sounds horrible, but I hate being pressured into reading something; it always feels too much like an assignment with a due date.

That aside, I've also gotten a bit saturated with the Henry VIII topic - it was never something that intrigued me and it's become too popular for my taste. In my opinion, that time period should be known as the Dark Age of Britain.

So this is how I went into this book. The bright spot was the focus on Thomas Cromwell - someone who I knew little about, mainly because his story so often gets lost in the chaos of Henry VIII's rule. Mantel's story was an interesting one. I liked Cromwell; I hated Henry VIII (go figure). The other main character was Anne Boleyn - who is presented as confident yet paranoid, jealous yet commanding. I did not much like her but that's to be expected.

Mantel is a gifted writer - of this, there is no doubt. But the story went on and on....and on. It ended with Cromwell scheduling a trip for Henry to visit the Seymours. No good will come of that, we know.

I'm glad I was able to get through this book - proud that I was able to do it. Mantel is supposedly writing a sequel. That book, I'm guessing, will not send so well for Cromwell.

No comments: