Friday, January 20, 2012

A Nightmare of a Situation

There's some stuff going on at work that has put the entire department on edge. Feelings have been hurt. Lines have been drawn in the sand. As someone said yesterday, "it's been a nightmare."

All of this stuff directly involves me and my position. Yet I am given no say in the matter; I'm the silent non-member of the departments, as always. It's not a fun situation to be in. Professors talk a lot about inclusiveness, collegiality....but when it comes down to it, they're on a power trip just like everyone else on this planet. In the long run, every man cares only for himself.

I don't have many friends in the department - people who I make an effort to connect with. But I thought I had one. Now it turns out that that person is not looking out for me behind closed doors. Like everyone else, this person cares only about himself.

I should have known better than to make a friend at work. When you get stabbed in the back, it hurts worse when the stabbing is done by a friend. I should have learned that from Caesar! But no. I wanted a friend.

Yes, it's a nightmare, for sure.

No comments: