Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bygones

Have you ever been "friended" by someone on Facebook with whom you had a falling out at some point?

It's an odd feeling, being confronted with these people who I never thought I'd see again.  In our "old age" are we supposed to let bygones be bygones?  Are we meant to forget the past?  

Let's face it, Facebook is a narcissistic exercise.  It's about telling distant acquaintances all about our lives and spying on theirs.  And to be brutally honest, it's about comparing your life to theirs...and feeling superior or envious once you have. 

Sometimes our motives are true: I genuinely want to keep in touch with some of my "friends" and Facebook is the only way.  But oftentimes, our motives are selfish. 

Bygones can be bygones, I suppose.  I'm mature now, right?  Ha!

No comments: