Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Change

My boss of six years is officially gone, his office  vacated. 

While I'm glad to be done with the endless packing his departure involved, I'm really sad to see him go.  He is such a likable guy; I know his presence will be missed.  It's a pity, too, that his last year on campus was spoiled by petty department politics.  (To get a laugh out of academic politics, you should read Straight Man by Richard Russo.)  I tend to hold on to grudges, but after seeing what harboring grudges will do after 10, 15, 20 years, I think I'll just forget most of them.  Too many people suffer from such petty immaturity.  

And so I look now to the arrival of my new boss....which means unpacking boxes.  Ha!  At least I'll have over a month to rest up.  Hopefully, too, I can mentally check out of work to concentrate more on my writing.  

Yep, my goal for the summer is to get re-immersed in my writing.  I can't wait!

No comments: