Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hunger Games

I wanted to read The Hunger Games before seeing the movie.  Since I got a late start on the book, I'll be seeing the movie on DVD.  

Everyone told me they couldn't put the book down....but I could.  It took me at least a week to read it.  I guess I have more going on than everyone else who couldn't put it down.  I thought the premise was good and unique, though perhaps a bit violent.  

However, the writing was awful.  I realize this is young adult fiction but is that really an excuse for bad writing?  The romance was a bit too contrived for me.  I couldn't really see the attraction Katniss had towards Peeta; she was way too smart for such an uninteresting, unimpressive boy.  

Personally, I'd like to know more about Panem and the war that led to the hunger games.  Perhaps I need to keep reading the books for this. But I must admit to not being too motivated to keep reading.  We'll see how the summer goes. 

No comments: