Thursday, May 17, 2012

Scanning Memories

I've had a little project going the past few months.  I've been going through our old family photos and scanning them.  Here are some observations....

-We're completely spoiled by digital cameras.  More than half the pictures taken in the '80s and '90s should be thrown away.  I can't tell you how many pictures of pets' tails we have...or blurry pets....or people's heads chopped off.  It's amazing really, just how bad the pictures are.  

1993.  Heads optional.
 -The quality of these pictures is awful.  Even with software to brighten, darken, straighten, crop, etc, a lot of pictures are still grainy, which is disappointing.

1988.  A blurry picture of my birthday cake.

-It's amazing just how much I'd forgotten.  One picture can trigger so many memories, a smile, and a "oh, yeah!"  

-There are not enough pictures of every day life, unless you count the everyday lives of our pets.  Ha!  This makes me so thankful that I found and am doing Project Life this year.  We're capturing little moments that would be lost forever now.  That makes me happy!

1989.  Our dachshund, Hans.  So many pics of pets!

-I was teased pretty mercilessly as a kid.  Heck, who wasn't?   And I can see why.  My grandmother loved to sew...and she sewed most of my dresses through elementary school.  The most exciting clothes I got were hand-me-downs from my half-sister.  Looking back, I wish I still had all those dresses my Granny had sewn!  


-In high school, I took the baggy style a little too seriously.  I was never really overweight, though I wasn't athletic, but I was determined to be covered up.  No wonder I never had a boyfriend!


-Sadly, I have very few pictures of my grandparents.  Since my grandmother had emphysema and was often on oxygen, she didn't like her picture taken.  But I have so many memories of her, and none of them captures on film.  


-I have an awful memory, especially for names.  When looking at all my birthday parties across the years, I recognize the faces of my friends, yet I have no idea what most of their names are.  How depressing!  


I'm so glad to have these pictures more accessible.  There are so many good memories there.

No comments: